The desire to restore a smile by replacing a missing tooth is not a recent trend. In fact, according to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, dental implants have been traced back all the way to around 600 AD! In those days, tooth-like pieces of shell were hammered directly into the jaw, a process that sounds less than pleasant. Thankfully, modern medicine has advanced considerably since then. Today, 3 million Americans have filled in the gaps in their smiles with natural-looking dental implants. Are you missing a tooth and wondering if dental implants in Inwood Village is the right solution for you? This blog post will help answer your questions.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant uses a titanium post to replace a missing tooth’s natural root structure, providing a sturdy base to support a new crown, bridge or denture. The titanium post fuses with natural bone beneath your gums, making dental implants the strongest devices available to support replacement teeth.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Compared to alternatives like conventional bridges and dentures, dental implants have a range of advantages that set them apart. Here are a few benefits of dental implants that make them the ideal tooth replacement option:
- A Long-Term Solution – With proper care, dental implants can last several decades or even a lifetime, making them an excellent – and cost-effective – solution for a lasting smile.
- Protect Your Healthy Teeth – Traditional bridges require the healthy teeth on either side of the missing tooth or teeth to be shaved down to fit in place in your mouth. Implants do not rely on adjacent teeth for support, so your healthy teeth can remain untouched.
- Natural Appearance – The crown of the implant is custom-made to match the shape and color of your natural teeth, so it is nearly impossible for others to tell it apart from the rest of your smile.
- Keep Eating Your Favorite Foods – Unlike dentures, dental implants provide nearly the same chewing power as natural teeth, so you do not have to avoid eating your favorite foods.
- High Success Rate – With a success rate of approximately 98%, you can rest easy knowing that dental implants are a reliable way to fill in the gaps in your smile.
Am I A Good Candidate?
Most people make excellent candidates for dental implants, but several key factors must be considered. Dental implants may be the right solution for you if:
- You have healthy gums
- You have sufficient jawbone depth
- You practice excellent oral hygiene
Stable, comfortable, and natural-looking dental implants can restore your smile and your self-confidence. For more information regarding dental implants, contact a dentist in Inwood Village today.
About the Author
Dr. Davina Prida earned her degree at Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas, where she graduated with a Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS). She is a member of the Dallas County Dental Society, Texas Dental Association, American Dental Association, and the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. Dr. Prida is also a member of the Texas Army National Guard. One of her main focuses is creating beautiful Smiles. She ia a Top Dallas Dentist Providing High Quality Dental Care, General Dentistry, Cosmetic Dentistry, Dental Implants, and Reconstructive Dentistry. Dr Davina Prida is fulfilling her vision of bringing the very best in cosmetic dentistry, reconstructive dentistry and general dentistry to Dallas at Inwood Village Dental. Dr. Prida’s approach of dental excellence and her use of advanced techniques, create the most natural, beautiful smiles possible. Dr. Prida is Dallas’ top cosmetic dentist, creating amazing smile makeovers with veneers, dental implants, dental crowns and bridges and Invisalign®. If you have questions about your dental treatment or dental care options, don’t hesitate to contact her at Inwood Village Dental or at (214) 352-2777.